Monday, November 3, 2008

no doubt... no time to doubt

Election day is tomorrow. In a little over 24 hours, the fate of our country is going to change.

Schmitty came over today for dinner. I cooked us a little something (sorry for burning it, Schmitty), but I was just so immersed in our conversation. She moved here over a year ago, and at the time, I was struggling through a lot of things. By the time things started to slow down, she had settled into her own crowd here in Austin, and she hasn't been very happy. I blame a lot of it on myself. I wasn't there to show her around and hang out with her. I feel bad that I left her in the hands of someone else, and now she's unhappy here. Then again, who am I to false advertise? Am I happy here myself?

As we conversed, we covered a lot of things. Her current situation at work. Mine. Her state in life. Mine. Her terrible breakup with her exbf. Mine.

It was good to sit down and talk to her. There are so many people that I've been meaning to sit down and talk to. She is one of the sweetest and most genuine people I've met. I wish we could've hung out more earlier. Cest la vie.

In any case, the reason why I'm blogging so late at night is because he called me today. It is so strange because he was a frequent topic of conversation with various friends of mine throughout the day today. After Schmitty left, I got online for a little just to check on some things. I saw that he emailed me. The subject line: Obama 2008. Hmm, strange, I thought. He was probably emailing me to persuade me last minute to vote for McCain or to inform me that he will again be going to the polls despite his lack of interest in politics to cancel out my vote as he did 4 years ago. I still have not forgiven him for that.

The email basically said he wanted to inform me that he'd be voting for Obama tomorrow. Wow. He attached a PDF file of the research he's done and highlighted all the key points. Ha. That's so like him. For me, I didn't need to read "The Economist" to figure out why Obama is a better choice, but I guess whatever works for an adamant republican is fine. I won't argue with that.

I scanned the document wondering what it could possibly have said to make him "switch sides" as he described. I scrolled down and saw all the highlights and notes he made on the side. I fixated on his notes and immediately recognized his handwriting. The scribbles of a doctor, I always thought. Suddenly, I was surprisingly visited by old memories of our college days. Memories I've tucked away for quite some time now. All the exams and classes and late night study sessions. I started thinking about the letters and the cards and the notes he used to write me. Sigh.

It's just one of those days. Just one of those days. I'm okay. I'm okay.

I'm okay.

Thank God for friends.

No comments: