Wednesday, November 5, 2008

girls, girls, and women

A few years ago, the topics of conversation that existed between me and my girlfriends consisted of what party to go to this weekend, which slutty Halloween outfit to wear this year, how difficult finals were going to be, and where's the best place to shop for cute dresses. And now, it's how do you make the best tomato sauce, where's our next trip is going to be, who's getting married next, and what are we going to do for the rest of our lives. In a few more years, I feel it's going to be which park do we want to take our kids to, where do you plan on buying a house, what kind of restaurants are family friendly, and who's husband is more lazy.

It's strange taking a step back and noticing all these changes. We're not old, but we're getting older. It scares me. Am I ready for this? Somehow, I feel like I'm being forced to change my lifestyle. Somehow at some point, I feel I really did just wake up one more morning and thought to myself, "I think it's time to grow up. I think I need to be more responsible now and face the consequences of my actions." I don't see the gradual process that led up to it. I just see the result. When did this happen? When did the focus of our lives change?

Instead of telling my parents, "I think I'll stay in Austin this weekend" to party and hang out with friends, the scenario has been reversed! Now, I can't wait to get home and hang out at my grandparents' house. I'm excited to go to the movies with my parents. I'm not embarrassed to be around them anymore! Haha. In fact, I laugh at how silly I used to be when I was ashamed to just go to the grocery store with my mom because she liked to wear house slippers and bright neon green tshirts. Now, I actually think it's adorable. What's gotten into me?

Barack Obama is going to be our next president. Wow. The world is definitely changing. Change change change. He really pushed and reiterated that belief so much to the point where the American people really believed it. They really believe in him, and I guess I do, too. It's a change for sure already. I'm watching his acceptance speech again, and he's just so darn likeable! I think it's his smile. He is quite the charmer. I feel so patriotic watching all this. This election was so important to me that I felt I had all the power in the world with my vote. I felt like my vote was the one that allowed him to win. I felt like I did that.

Of course, my vote didn't really do anything in Texas. Gosh. Reality is such a bummer. Growing up sucks.

While I do believe in Obama and his potential to be a great leader, I won't be naive and believe he will be able to fulfill all his promises. No politician can do this. No one can please everyone. I'm glad most of America has an open mind for change, but some are just ridiculous. You have the educated voters who researched and truly feel that Obama was the better of the two candidates, and then you have... the idiots. Meet Peggy Joseph.



Wtf, lady!? Yes, I understand you're excited. Yes, I agree it's a great thing that Obama's been voted into the presidency. I know the holidays are coming up fast, but who do you think he is?? Santa Obama? That just because he's going to be president, you can now sit back, relax, and do nothing because the rest of your life is set since you won't have to pay for your gas or mortgage payments anymore? Is this lady for real??? I want to be there when she's sitting in her car in the middle of nowhere with the contents of her entire house jam-packed in the backseat waiting for Superobamaman to come and rescue her. It makes me angry that some people can be such morons.

Well, thanks to these people, Obama sailed through to the White House. I don't know whether to be grateful or terrified. On the brightside, at least more people went out to vote. Maybe more people will realize now how much of a difference we can make as a whole if we unite and vote together. Just please, do your research and vote for the right reasons. We lucked out this time.

No comments: