Thursday, November 6, 2008

the first cut is the deepest

Driving to work today, Sheryl Crow came on the radio, and I never really listened to her lyrics until this morning. I don't know why I decided to pay attention this morning. This song's been out for years.

Anyway, it got me thinking. Am I scarred for life? Am I broken for all future guys? Was she? Millionaire or not, emotions run the same for every woman. That's why music is so powerful.

I wonder why I can't get past it. I wonder why I feel so guilty every time I allow myself to start liking someone new. I feel he's still inside my heart telling me, "Not yet. Wait a little longer." He's still a dominant part of my thoughts. It's kind of 50% him, 44% random, 6% Twilight. (*edit* Ok, I was argued against by some saying my Twilight obsession consists of more than a mere 6%, and sadly, I must agree. Therefore, allow me to rephrase by saying 50% him, 44% Twilight, 6% random. Happy, people?)

As I've mentioned before, they're not painful thoughts anymore. Not really, at least. They're more fond memories. But whatever kind they are, they're still very present. Everything about this town has a link to him. From the stop sign around the corner of my building office to the pencil sitting on my desk at home. It's like, I don't want to forget any of it, but I can't hold onto it either. Is there any way to store these memories in a safe deposit box and bring them out later when I can laugh about the day he packed up his things, told me to never speak to him again, and walked out the door of our apartment? I still have two of his tshirts, socks, and gloves.

Four nights in a row now that I've dreamt of him. Where is a witch doctor when you need one?

2 comments:

vandyrie said...

im pretty sure your twilight percentage is much much higher than that

Thao said...

if you cant let go of the past, how can you live in the present? MOVE woman - it's a sunny day in houston, texas too.