Sunday, December 16, 2007

is there really a santa?

For some reason, every time this time of year, I seem to notice an unusual number of plump, old men with white beards and spectacles walking around everywhere. Is it psychosomatic?

I could almost bet my life that at least once every Christmas, someone jokingly leans over, nudges me on the side, points, and then whispers, "Look, it's Santa." I kid you not! How many times have you been asked that? I bet more than once! One time too many for me. Too often to where I wonder if it's pure coincidence.

Maybe it's the whole mindset of Christmas. Or maybe old geezers purposely dress themselves up like that for kicks. Or maybe it's the inner child in me hoping that Santa is real. Or maybe... just maybe... it's really him! Hahaha naaahhh... I'm just kidding. Sort of.

Still, it'd be nice to think there's someone who goes around the world bringing gifts to everyone. If that were real, I think this world would really be a better place. What better motivation is there to behave than a brand new toy, whether it be a new Cinderella dress-up doll or the latest Gucci hand bag?

Anyway, I saw my ordinary Santa impersonator yesterday at the mall. Nowadays, I almost feel as if my Christmases wouldn't be complete unless I saw one. My sister said it first, "Guess who that guy looks like." Suddenly, I felt at ease, and I smiled wondering how many children turned their heads for a second glance at him that day.

As he walked by, instead of the scent of peppermints and cinnamon, he smelt of old cheese and salty pretzels. And, if I'm not mistaken, his jolly laugh was replaced with a grunt. But sure enough, he had the infamous look. What he was doing waddling down the mall wearing blue jeans and carrying a Victoria's Secret bag, I'll never know.

Maybe the elves are on strike.

No comments: