"Christmases When You Were Mine"
I never fail to enjoy looking at all the lights and decorations people hang up. I like standing in the middle of my neighborhood street late at night when no cars are out looking down the road at all the houses brightly decorated. The peaceful winter night mixed with the twinkling lights are comforting. Something about the mixture of both touches a nostalgic part of my heart. It's like revisiting my childhood and all the happy times I've ever experienced.
I love Christmas. My apartment is starting to look more festive. While I was putting up the lights this year, I noticed one less pair of hands. The garland is wrapped around my ceiling, and the mistletoe is placed over my doorway. The wreath hangs above the fireplace where the stockings are placed. And then there's the tree.
I brought down my box of Christmas decor and blew the dust off from the top. Inside were various red and gold ornaments. Just the typical kinds, nothing special. Underneath that layer were the ornaments that carried more sentimental value. Each was carefully wrapped in paper for extra protection.
As I unraveled each one, I thought of the time he and I went shopping for ornaments. I got so frustrated when he picked out silly-looking ones because they didn't go with our red and gold tree at all. But seeing his face light up after discovering a new ornament warmed my heart, and I couldn't refuse him. Then, I came across a series of penguin ornaments he surprised me with when I came home from work one night. He knew my adoration for them and filled my apartment with penguin-related decor. I remember turning off all the lights of our place except for our tree and just staring at it together hand in hand.
I'm thankful I got to experience this kind of happiness and tranquility with someone even if it's just once in my lifetime. I hope that you have also. And if you haven't, I hope you will soon.
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment